Want to know what i did at the beginning of December? Had five daiquiris. I also made over the guest room. Our tiniest bedroom that fits a queen bed and little else. Here's a look around of how it looked before:
I ultimately had to dismantle that desk and put it under the bed for storage. It's just too big for the space. Until i have my own official sewing table, i'll just have to cart everything to the dining room table. The filing cabinet (used for crafty storage) is now in the closet.
We found the dresser below in the garage when we bought the place. It was a new Ikea MALM dresser, which happens to be the same kind we already have for both kids, just in different colors. And as we're in the process of making some changes in Daughter's room, i switched out her dresser drawers for the "new" color (pics of the other dresser will come with her room reveal). Here's how it looks on this dresser:
That was our guest room. A purple-on-purple room that, when we moved in, had no overhead lighting and a chair rail. Which one of you will be the one to explain why there's a chair rail in this room? Did the former owners have fancy dinners in here? Now, i do realize that my daughter's room currently has a chair rail and it stayed for two reasons: 1. Because we were in a rush to get in the house and painting was the extent of the time we were willing to spend on it and 2. because it's big enough to have a chair rail for decor instead of function. In my opinion, splitting such a small room in half makes it look even smaller.
The first step was to rip it off the wall with a box cutter (score it) and a hammer (pry it).
After scraping comes the spackling. And i'm talking thick spackle...it was ridiculous. I'd spackle, spackle again, sand, then spackle one more 'gain, then sand one last time.
After only an hour and a half of painting and an hour and a half of trimming the next day, Chris offered to hang the room divider on the wall over the bed as opposed to having it just sitting behind the bed like so:
The first step was to remove the hinges that held it together:
That piece of trash on the wall is actually something i made. I took some wrapping paper - the kind you get at the store when you buy fragile things - and used black acrylic paint to paint on the lyrics of two of my favorite romantic songs. The songs are on two sheets each, and those sheets are diagonal from each other. I hot glued them in a wrinkly fashion to a piece of euca board, then mod podged the whole thing after the fact. So it feels more like plastic than it does paper, and will hopefully hold its shape and not yellow.
I'll leave you with these Before & Progress pics: